Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Sunday 1 July 2012

Progress...


This is the beginning of my seventh month of blogging and I have not missed a day. Phew.
Yesterday one of the things I did, while The Man was at work, was a bit of family tree ‘stuff’ and I registered an interest of a site called Curios Fox. I really did not think it would come to much, but this morning in my in box was a message from a local history group with a positive response. This gives me the names of my paternal three times great grandparents. So when I used those names to do a search of the 1841 census there they were with four of their children. Haven’t had a win like that for ages and ages. Not only has that it seemed that there is information about others in the family. For a small donation, which I will willingly make. They will email it to me. 
They were Ag Labs, agricultural labourers to those unused to the census terminology. Must have been a hard life back then in the mid 1800’s but at least they would have been out in the country and not as later generations were, working in polluted cities.  They were not without their troubles though. As the enclosure of public or common grazing/farming land increased they would have lost their ability to provide food and to create an income. This act of parliament removed existing rights of local people to use these tracts of land. Wealthy and greedy landowners could apply to have the land enclosed. Worse still, in 1845 another act of government allowed for the appointment of commissioners who could enclose land without submitting a request to parliament. Combine that with the revolutionary new mechanised harvesting machinery,   and the poor Ag Lab was even worse off. It was no wonder that there was a huge upwelling of protest which culminated in riots and the destruction of farm machinery. Many, like my ancestors moved to the cities. Strong Ag Labs made good labourers. Life in the cities must have been a huge change for the country folk, and mostly not for the better. Despite being able to earn better wages, the cost of living, as it is today would have been higher and generally living conditions would have been much worse.
That’s progress for you

No comments:

Post a Comment