Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Saturday 7 July 2012

Granny hunting in Writtle...


I don’t want to repeat myself, but The Man is working on a Saturday again. Not only that, he’s working again tomorrow too.  The dosh helps I can’t deny that, but I really would rather have his company.
The alarm beeped at is usual time, so at least it was not as early as last weekend. So see him off to work and then a quick tidy up and get my gear together and I take off for the local station to make my way to Writtle, via Liverpool Street Station and Chelmsford.  Well, that is what I thought I was going to do. It did sound easy, but after standing on the platform at Whitechapel for almost half an hour I finally figured out that the train was not actually running. Bother. Retrace my route a few stations and catch the district line to Liverpool Street, and I’m   more than half an hour behind. Can’t do much more than text the person I am expecting to meet that I am   running late. Get to Chelmsford and find the right bus stop and the heavens opened. Good thing I had brought the brolly. Took a while for the bus to arrive and then another 15 minutes or so before I got to the stop I wanted. How late was I? Almost an hour and a half. Thank goodness for text messaging. My contact at the Writtle Archive was waiting for me at the bus stop and soon we were elbow deep in records. Still have to decipher the information that I accumulated there. Watch this space.
The bells on the church were pealing, what a lovely sound. They were ringing out to celebrate the fact that the Olympic torch had passed though the township earlier this morning. So maybe it was good thing that I was late.
After collecting a photocopy or two of possible relevant information we went out into the churchyard and she led me to the headstone of a possible family member. Camera clicks and the images will be stored for later. Then a tour of the church. The inside has changed quite a lot since my ancestor’s time, but the font where they would have been baptised is still the original, though it did look a little worse the wear, possible from having been kept outside for a number of years.  
Back into Chelmsford and I get off the bus at the local library to see if they have copies of the local paper from June 1854. No lack there, but the librarian told me that the local records office doesn’t close for another hour and a half. Off I go again, map in had from the nice library lady.  At the archive, find the right microfilm, thread it into the viewer and… Nothing. I was hoping to find something in the newspaper relating to my three times great granny who was buried by coroners warrant.  The film was very hard to read, and it is possible that I missed it but I’m not hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment