Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Thursday 29 November 2012

Slow, but very interesting delivey



Tomorrow would have been my father’s 91st birthday. So it is quite serendipitous that in the mail today I received a copy of his military record that I ordered more than twelve months ago. 
It looks like the record is made up of several different documents and I guess it will take me some time to decipher all the details on his service record, and the abbreviations on them, and understand what they mean. Thankfully it does come with a list of the meaning of common abbreviations.

The basic details are that the enlisted 19 June 1941, he would have been nineteen. The documents give me his address, where he would have been living with my grandparents.
When he was on ten days embarkation leave he and my mother married on February twenty-first 1942. They married by special licence. This was, I think, because here was no time for the banns to be read in the local church.  

He was sent to India 16 March 1942, and returned to England 23 April 1944.  As to where he was during the remainder of the war until he was discharged that I have yet to fully interpret. 

Some of it looks as though he may have been in hospital as there are several entries with what looks like the word hospital alongside them.

I think he requested to be released from the regular army in February 1944 and became part of the Army reserve, and was finally completely discharged in December 1950. 

I’ll keep you posted, but don’t hold your breath as it might take a visit to the Army Museum to fully get to the bottom of it all
.
I was going to write about something else entirely, but Dad’s record is much more interesting 

 Now, where did I put that magnifying glass…

No comments:

Post a Comment