Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Tuesday 20 November 2012

Fingers crossed for tomorrow...

Well tomorrow is the big day for The Man.
Why so?
Well, he sits his 'Life in the UK' test. And he is absolutely fed up to the back teeth with the stupidity of lots of the questions. I mean how much rubbish does he have to cram his brain full of. Stuff that even Joe Average doesn't know about this country. And how do I know that.
I know because I have asked a lot of Brits I know if they know the answers.
A very wise friend of mine gave me a piece of very sound advice when I was doing my nursing training. She said just think of it all as a huge sausage machine and give it what it wants. Then when you have passed all the exams and have your registration that is the time to try to make changes.
So this is the advice I have passed on to my man.
Enough of that rubbish, by this time tomorrow he will either be the holder of a pass or we will be £50 poorer. Yes you have to pay that fee every time you sit.

Funny how some friendships fade away and others stay isn't it?
Quite a few years ago, the friend who gave me that piece of good advice and I were best buddies. She was like my sister. We'd take out kids to the movies together during school holiday, get together on guy Fawkes night, have dinners at each others houses. And all the other good stuff that close friend do with each other.
When her husband scored the job in OZ he was after it was so hard to say goodbye to her ,and we were both in tears. Letters raced back and forth over the Tasman, for a while. Then stopped. Then out of the blue we received an invite to a combined birthday , her 40th and her girls 16th and 18th, I went with two of my daughters and it was like my friend and I had never been apart.
Then nothing.
That was a long time ago,and off and on over the years I've sent letters and the odd postcard. I even looked her up on google and found out the university where she was tutoring and tried to contact her through them.
And nothing.
It was a long time ago but I still miss the relationship that we had.
Sue Hunt if you ever get to read this I'd still love to hear form you.


No comments:

Post a Comment