Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Friday 23 November 2012

Missions accompished...



After a lot of head scratching and editing and checking and photocopying we have at last completed the application process. All that needs doing now is shoving the whole lot in an envelope and giving the precious paperwork over to the Royal Mail. And I will definitely be putting a track and trace on it .
There was supposed to be disruptions to the Jubilee line this morning, due to industrial action. Well the bonus from the Olympics has been spent and the drivers need extra money for Christmas, Well that was the reason one of my colleagues put forward for it. Then late yesterday afternoon the action was called off and there were no problems in our morning commute.

A while ago one of my grandsons had a fall and hit the back of his head, following that the area became infected and the poor lad became quite sick winding up needing a general anaesthetic to clean and debride the wound. That wasn’t the end of the story. Unfortunately there was still a small pocket of infection and the wound began to get sore and play up again. His Mum took him back to the hospital and he again had it debrided, more thoroughly this time, again under general anaesthetic. Now he has to go to the hospital every couple of days for dressing, that will probably go on for a while. And he is not at all happy about the whole process, finding it very very stressful.

I write about this because of one of the clients who came to visit me today. 

A day or so ago I emailed him the vaccination he should consider for an upcoming overseas trip. We emailed back and forth, him telling me how phobic he was about needles and me trying to reassure him that I would be gentle with him. 

Where’s the link I hear you say, well I would if I could.

I had been thinking about ways that would help my young grandson cope with the unpleasant and uncomfortable process of having his dressing done. The best I could come up with was diversion therapy. What, I thought, would appeal to my grandson, silly jokes, his favourite story, a way to get him to visualise something pleasant to give him the power over his feelings. 

It was then that I thought, hello, if that might help my grandee it also might help my young phobic client. 

And that is exactly what it did.
With a bit of patience and some explaining about visualisation I had the young chap relaxed enough to give him two vaccinations.
And the best thing about it was his comments at the end that the experience had been the best injections he had ever had. Not only that he that with that with an email, thanking me for taking the time with him.
I am still basking in the glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment