Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Monday 1 April 2013

Planes and clocks



I was ‘chatting’ online this morning with one of our sons back in NZ. His daughter, our granddaughter is raising funds for a student exchange to France, and doing very well by all accounts. She will land there in September this year, then early in 2014 spend some time here with us. We were discussing the things she might like to do over here and I said something about letting her loose on London all on her own. I said that at first I was pretty freaked out about the ideas of getting around the big city on my own, but that as the public transport system here is so good I discovered that it was really easy to get about on my own.
He reminded me about a comment that I made years ago when we were living in PNG. Our youngest daughter sent over a video that she had filmed, of her cousin doing a tandem skydive. That bit was OK, but when she handed over the camera and it showed us her attached to the front of a ‘diver’ and then them leaping out of the little plane, well that was another matter entirely. So I knew that things must have gone well and she had landed safely, but it was still a heart in the mouth moment. My comment afterwards was that it was better to find out after the event. I think I know how he feels. 

Easter weekend is almost over and tomorrow it will be hey ho, hey ho, it’s off to work we go. 

This change seasonal forwarding of the clocks always plays me up for the first few weeks. It takes a while for my body clock to reset itself so that I wake up a few minutes before the alarm goes off. Also for the next week or so we will be exactly 12 hours behind New Zealand, but not for long ‘cos on April 7th they put their clocks back so we will…now let me see…at least I think we will, be 11 hours behind. It is very confusing for this bear of little brain.

On a totally different note, when we stayed at The Warren guest house in Great Yarmouth we were served some absolutely excellent food. And that has inspired me to try to raise my game. In the past when I’ve made a beef casserole the meat has always been tough no matter how slow I cooked for. Neville, the wonderful chef/owner shared the secret to a tender casserole. What was it? Well simply put it, was to buy a better quality of meat. And did it work? Yes it did. So not only have I made a nice tender beef casserole today I have also made a lovely thick chicken broth. Very yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment