Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Thursday 30 August 2012

Who'se a pretty boy then....


My grandfather was seventy when I was born. He died when I was nine.  
He had a tattoo on one forearm, like two hands clasped as though shaking hand. They represented hands across the sea, I think it as him that told me that. There were also the words I Love GP. My grandmother’s initials.  After spending years in the noisy environments as a stoker on board ships he was very deaf, but would always respond to my childish command of ‘read to me’ when I climbed on his lap when I was a pre-schooler. I didn’t matter what he read, just that he did. I like to think it is from him that I get my love of books and reading.
He would tease us on weekends and school holidays saying ‘school te-rmorra’ and I can still hear the ‘London’ of his voice.

He was a smoker, though I don’t remember him actually smoking. He would though collect the buts and soak them to make type if insect spray for the vegies.  Did he garden in an allotment back in England? I will never know, but he did tend the garden in NZ. On almost a quarter acre section there was a lot of room for a garden. He would spend hours sieving out the oxalis bulbs. The little plants grew rampant in the warm NZ soil, her n the UK it is a small decorative garden plant.
At the very end of the garden near the boundary fence was a large lemon tree. I always remember it loaded with the fat juicy fruit that gave up its tart juice to be poured over Mum’s wafer thin pancakes. Sprinkled with sugar,  they were delicious. Mmmmm my mount is watering at the very thought. I have never been able to make my pancakes taste the same. Anyway, back tot eh lemon tree. There was a great commotion one morning when he discovered that every single lemon had been stolen from the tree. We never did find out who took them. 

Granddad kept his birds in a shed halfway down the backyard. Screeching budgies. Blue and green. He bred the noisy birds, I don’t know what he did with most of their offspring. One though, a chubby green and yellow bird with a blue cere was our family pet. A cere is the fleshy bit across the top of the beak and it is blue for boys.
The birds name was Noddy.  He was finger tame and would be let out to fly around the room. If he landed on your shoulder he would nuzzle up to your neck. Noddy loved sugar, and if the sugar bowl was on the table when he landed he would hop up onto the rim and help himself. Proffer him a sugar coated finger and he would nibble away at it tickling the skin where his sharp beak touched. He could give you a nasty nip though if a finger was poked into his cage too often.
Granddad, with the patience of a saint had taught Noddy to wolf whistle and say ‘pretty boy’

No comments:

Post a Comment