Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Friday 15 June 2012

How do you say that ...


Another Friday and goodness me she’s going to comment again about how fast the time is a-flying by. And how it is flying, in another week it will be mid-year and the longest day. As always at this end of the week the trains are not so chocka block with commuters. Well like that on the way in certainly. 
Its interesting over here to hear the way things are pronounced. I mean like things that at home are said one way and it makes us smile to her them said in what we think is the wrong way. Take for example our good ole (what we think of as a Kiwi brand) Maggi products. At home the g is soft like the ‘g’ in magic. Here it is said hard as in the ‘g’ for go.   And the car brand Skoda, at home the o is said like saying ‘oh’ here it is said  like saying ‘of’. I remember watching a video when I was doing my nursing training, admittedly it was American. Our class was a bit confused by the voice over talking about ‘cap-pil arrys’ then we had an aha moment and realised he was saying capillaries.
I think my very first encounter with a difficult accent was at intermediate school. One of the teachers asked me to go and get a prop that had been made for a school production. I was told to go and get the sign for the ‘purb’, he meant pub. I hope he didn’t think I was taking the Michael.  
On a previous visit to Scotland, Glasgow to be specific we were in search of a toy store. Unable to locate one ourselves I had the bright idea of asking someone who had a child with them. Good idea I hear you say. Well it was but we couldn’t understand what she was saying it sounded like ‘Mudda Cow ‘. Good thing she was gesturing her directions as she spoke.  We realises when we followed her pointing  hand that the store she was directing us to was Mothercare.

1 comment: