Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Monday 19 March 2012

sunshine and trains..


Another absolutely beautiful morning. It was a bit chilly at only three degrees up here on the third floor. On our way down to the station we saw a couple of cars that were a bit icy, and the station staff had scattered salt around, but there was no frost underfoot. The sun continued to shine all day and was still out when we came home. It seems that the days are getting longer very quickly, though in reality it is only a few minutes each day.
I had a reasonable day at work, nothing too exciting or way out. The usual clients with minor infections and a few looking for travel advice. No surprises there.
I received an email from head office about the potential difficulties I and others will probably encounter commuting during the Olympics. Almost everyone I have spoken to about it is dreading the pandemonium it will cause.
The station at Canada Water is already a crush in the mornings. Picture this; at the station the train disgorges at least half of its passengers from four carriages. All those people funnel down to the next level of the station via just two escalators. I’ve gotten used to the crush now. The way to do it is to shuffle forcefully forward, if you don’t you will be squeezed out. I take a backpack to work, but never wear it on my back on the train or a crowded escalator. The major hazards here are women with enormous bags slung over their shoulders that can give you a nasty whack. Another is people wheeling suitcase who don’t wait until the crush has gone.
OK so now I am on the underground platform waiting to take the Jubilee line, just one stop to Canary wharf. That sounds simple doesn’t it? The tube is almost always full and just occasionally I have to push my way on. Only going one stop, so the crush doesn’t take long.
Coming home I do the reverse. On days when I finish later, after 1730 the platform is chocka block and it can take several trains coming and going  before the queue I am in moves close enough to the train for me to get on. At Canada Water it’s a ‘Scuse me’ very loudly to get off.
Once the feet are firmly planted on the platform it’s a quick run up the stairs to the oveground platform and join the crowd waiting for the Crystal Palace one. Hardly ever get a seat on that one until just a few station from home.
So can you see why I’m not looking forward to the influx of tourists and Olympic games goers in August

No comments:

Post a Comment