Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Tuesday 28 February 2012

HHGG, eggs and statues...


Don’t  you really dislike it  intensely when you go off to bed expecting to have a good night’s sleep, notice that I didn’t say hate, that is a word that I intensely dislike,  and after nodding off for a few minutes you wake up with the brain doing a million miles an hour. Well that’s what happened last night.  I settled down, turned off the light, kissed The Man goodnight, and closed my eyes. And Boing the brain sprang them wide open again and was full of all sorts of rubbish that stopped me from nodding off again for ages.  So out with the earphones, and turn on the MP3 player, and switch on The Guide.  What guide I hear you ask, well I would I you spoke up loud enough. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy that’s what guide.  Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent out on their adventures.  So I think it will be an early night tonight.
I was going to go out for a walk at lunchtime today, it was a nice enough day, but what with one thing and another the time got away from me and before I knew it was too late to escape the building into the fresh air. Never mind there is always tomorrow.
Remember me telling you about the Great Easter Egg Hunt? There are some real ratbags out there who have been ripping them off their pedestals and running away with them or damaging them. I read about one in that was decorated as a post box. Others have been damaged. Absolute stupidity.
I started reading a book today called Guided by a Stone Mason. We visit lots of cathedrals and abbeys and I am really interested in the meaning of the beautiful carvings and decorations that we see. The mission to find out more was set off by our first visit to the British Museum. I wondered why some of the grave statues had their ankles or legs crossed. This was only in those that depicted knights, or soldiers in chain-mail. I sent an email to the museum, and interestingly enough the reply came back saying that they didn’t know either. Well the chappie who answered the email didn’t.   I’ve asked in various churches where we see these statues and the there are two theories that sound logical. The first is that as they are no longer standing at attention, but I do not think that soldiers in those days actually stood to attention. The best theory, I think is that they were crusaders and crossed legs hints at their Christianity and the cross itself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment