Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Sunday 17 March 2013

Granddad went to France ...



So were you filled with anticipation about yesterday’s blog?

Not too filled I hope, because after entering the information onto spread sheets it turned out that I hadn’t gained anything new. Hmm I think I may be as far back with that branch of the Harvey tree as possible right now. Thinking about my Harvey’s has been using up most of my brain space and I have done very little, if anything on the other lines.  

I did see something interesting on my walk to the SOG, thought, what do you think of this  creation I spotted in an alleyway. Haven’t a clue what it is for or if it has any significance, but I still liked it.
What I have been doing today is trying to transcribe granddads regimental diary from WWI. Not easy to read the scribble of Major Davies.
Heres what I know so far
The 11th Essex Regiment was at Blackdown Camp when on 21 August 1915 confidential instructions had them preparing to leave for France. The battalion had dug trenches Cobham Common to practice trench warfare. Some of the men were taking it in turns to take 4 days leave (about 15% of the regiment at a time). This leave was immediately reduced to just 48hours. On August 26th they marched back to the common and filled in the practice trenches. On the 28th an advance party of 3 officers and 100 men, transport and horses left for Southampton. The remaining 26 officers and 839 men, granddad among them followed on August 30th bound for Boulogne, then on to a rest camp at Ostrohove.
From there they went by train to Montreul and marched to the villages where they were to be billeted, Estree and Estreelles.
During the next couple of days they took part in mock attacks and had training in judging distance, and taking compass bearings.

I like the entry dated 15/9/1915, it reads .Washing, bathing, medical inspection, vermin men treated.
Then, beginning on the 21st they began a couple of long night-time marches of 20 – 21 miles until they got to Bethune.
Part of the entry for 25/9/1915 reads… at 9am the C.O. called the officers of the battalion together…they were told that an enemy position if found to be too strong was to be left as the object was to push on as quickly as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment