Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Saturday 29 December 2012

As I was saying...

OK so I was wrong about how many days were left in the year, I obviously recited the rhyme to myself wrong. December has 31 days not 30. So now I can truly say OMG only two more days and it will be 2013.

30 days hath September,
April, June and November,
All the rest have 31,
Excepting February alone.
Which only has but 28 days clear
And 29 in each leap year

Looking for that rhyme made me think of others that we used to say. Like this one.

Blue and green should never be seen except on a Spanish queen 

And this one from my nursing to days, used to remember the order of cranial nerves. I remember the mnemonic but not the names of the nerves.

On Old Olympus' Towering Top, A Finn And German Viewed Some Hops.

Now I had a different interpretation on this one below. Red sky at night should mean that it will be a wet day so that he can have a lie in, and red sky in the morning should mean that it will be a nice day so he should get up early

Red sky at night; shepherds delight,
Red sky in the morning; shepherds warning

This one is from my school days to remember how to spell arithmetic.

A red Indian thought he might eat toffee in church



And did you know that these common sayings were originally penned by none other than the Bard, William Shakespeare himself. OK we’ve taken liberties with some of them and use them not quite as they were written, but then that is artistic licence isn’t it.






No comments:

Post a Comment