Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Sunday 14 October 2012

sunny day and memories...


Wow, what a beautiful sunny Sunday we had today. And what did we do with it, just enjoyed it with The Man and I had a very lazy day, so not much to write about. So I thought I would share something I wrote shortly before one of our girls got married.
 


TRINKETS AND TREASURES

Where’s my list? Ah, here it is
  1. Meals in the freezer for The Man  
  2. Book the dog in at the kennel 
  3. The Man’s suit 
  4. My outfit 
  5. Mum’s pearls
They’re in my jewelry box in the bedroom. Better get them out now and put them with the other things, I'd really not like to forget them.
Mum’s Mikimoto cultured pearls lie next to other pieces that belonged to her. I don’t  remember now when it was that Dad gave these treasures to me. Looping the smooth  pearls through my fingers, I close my eyes and I can see them as they lay in their black  velvet lined box that sat in the middle drawer of the built in dressing table in Mum and Dad’s room in Pharazyn Street. I can only guess at the reason Dad gave them to  her. I think it must have been a combination of Mum’s fortieth birthday, and their  twentieth wedding anniversary, though traditionally pearls are for the 30th anniversary.
 I’ve still got lots to do to get me ready for the five day medics course that starts inCambridge  tomorrow, and I have to finish  the other packing for the wedding too. Even so, I just can’t close the jewelry box without taking out and fingering the five small  broaches each in turn.

 I choose my favorite first. It’s about five centimetres long and the  oldest of the five.  Mum told me that when she was just a little girl she bought it for her mother. So I suppose it must be almost 80 years old. It’s made of a silvery metal imprinted with a pattern that makes it look like eight wide eyes laying side by side, each with a bright green glass pupil. I wonder at the fact that this little piece of metaland glass actually survived all these years.
 I’ve always liked the feel of the smooth surface of the next broach. A diamond shaped piece, of what looks like, clear plastic it’s almost four centimetres across. Inset across the widest part are three faded blooms, two  yellow roses flanking a central pink one. My memory of it goes back to when I was about ten years old. It was always kept with the other four. I just wish I knew its history. 

Carefully I lay the next  broach in the palm of my hand. Its oval gold frame not quite three centimetres tall is rimmed with a loop of twisted gold wire. Inside the frame two tall giraffes stand on either side of a palm tree, they’re a bit loose and I worry that they’ll fall out. I used to think they were made of ivory, but the words FRANCE and DEPOSE are stamped onto the back of the taller giraffe. Dad bought it for Mum, in Egypt when he served there during World War Two.

I select the littlest broach next, because it too is a keepsake. Dad gave it to Mum just   before he was shipped overseas It’s a two centimetre tall brass heart, surrounding what looks like a pearl button. Mounted on the button is a replica of The Royal Army Ordinance Corps regimental badge, Dad served with them during World War Two.

 Picking up the last one sets off a raft of memories of old faded photos. The broach is a miniature ship’s wheel made of brass, about three centimetres across. On it waves a shipping company flag. Divided into four by a broad red stripe, the flag is white except for the upper left-hand portion. This quarter is also dived into four by a red stripe and in each quadrant a red star sits on a blue background. Underneath the flag is a ship’s name. S.S.Tamaroa It’s the ship that Mum, Dad and my sister, Nan and Granddad came out to New Zealand on. I just wish I had time to get out those small photo’s they took on the voyage.

Reluctantly I put the five broaches away and close the jewelry box lid, then gently curl the pearls into a red velvet pouch and tuck it securely into the pocket of The Man’s suit; soon they will be worn at our daughter’s wedding

No comments:

Post a Comment