Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Wednesday 17 October 2012

soapbox time...



So what to write about today. This is one of those days when I really have no idea what twill come off the keyboard, and no I ‘m not going to cheat and use one I had prepared earlier, though I  am tempted. 

This morning I read on a friends Facebook page that the British Legion, The NZ equivalent of the RSA, will not be selling poppies for Remembrance Day, Like NZ’s ANZAC Day, in certain areas so as not to be culturally insensitive. 

 Is it true? I looked on the British legions’ website but could find not mention of it. But there is no smoke without fire they say.

 That is so daft and insensitive too. Not only is the sale of the poppies a fundraiser it is also a way, by wearing one,  to honour those who went to war in our names.

 My paternal grandfather served as  soldier in WWI as did my father in WWII. My maternal 
Paternal grandfather in Kitchiner Blue.There wasn't' enough khaki to make uniforms

My father
 grandfather was a merchant seaman during in WWI. 

The crew of the sunk Port Kembla, my grandfather was a stoker on this ship. 
Unlike many who served all these ancestors of mine survived. That doesn’t make me any less proud of them or make me want to support the poppy day appeal any less.  
I have a good idea of the nature of the groups who think it is insensitive to sell poppies in certain areas, but it would be u- PC of me to name them. Let me just say that I am pretty sure which ethnic groups think it is insensitive.
Being resident in a country has certain rights, of course it should, but it also has certain responsibilities too. And those responsibilities include respecting the culture of the country. I am sure some of those not wanting the poppies sold will be receiving some sort of government funding, be it as a benefit or simply in the form of a freedom pass. This pass give people over 60 free transport on most public transport.  When my kids were at primary school there was a substantial Greek community in the area, and these kids went to Greek School on weekends. Yes it is important to keep your culture alive, but not to the point where it affects people outside the cultural group.  OK I’ll get off my soap box now

No comments:

Post a Comment