Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Sunday 16 September 2012

Tidying up the treasures...


It’s a relief to have the nights cooler, well I think so anyway. Being a fully paid up and possibly now, lifelong member of the Hot Flush Brigade nights can be a bit of a…well…um…nightmare. I don’t know what it is about getting into bed and laying down that triggers the heat surges. OK, it could be the very sexy presence of The Man, and who am I to shoot that idea down. They aren’t very comfortable whatever it is that sets them off. So cooler nights are very welcome


A nice sleep in is a very good way to start a lazy Sunday, don’t you think so.  Once we were up and breakfasted we set about tidying up our little flat; I do like to come back from holiday to a nice tidy place. Oh and did I mention we were going away for a whole week?

Where to? Well you will just have to be patient a little bit longer cos I’m not going let you in on our destination. Somewhere in past blogs I have probably let the cat out of the bag, never mind.
The Man set me a bit of a challenge though. I’m a bit of a hoarder, mostly magazines and brochures about where we have been, or possible interesting places. I had accumulated quite a collection. Undeterred by my protests The Man insisted that I sit down and sort out some of my piles of paper. Hard labour that it was, pretty soon there was a fairly big pile ready for the recycling bin. He must have been feeling a bit virtuous about the tidy up because next he brought out the bag containing our collection of rocks.

Ah now you have found us out. We are secret rock collectors. Displayed on our lounge windowsill is a collection of treasures. Not just rocks though, we have shells too, and in pride of place the delicate skull of a seabird, that probably belonged to a Turn. It is a really beautiful object. We found it last year on a beach  near Wick, in Scotland, when we were visiting friends who live up in that part of the country. 

 Both The Man and I are attracted to shiny or odd shaped objects. Another item that takes pride of place in our collection is an old shell. Now hang on a minute I hear you say, an old shell? Ah but this isn’t just any old shell at all. It is very large fossilised oyster shell that has to be at least 100,000,000  years old. I kid you not about its age. My eagle eyed man spotted it among rock fall debris when e visited the Isle of Wight a few months back. That’s one shell that we will be taking back to NZ when we go.



No comments:

Post a Comment