Geriatric OE

The weekly musing of a couple of Kiwis on their geriatric OE in The UK






Friday 20 January 2012

Books and boobs


Friday 20 Jan. 2012
I started a new Diana Gabaldone book today ‘The Scottish Prisoner’ her writing is just magic. I read the opening paragraphs online when I was goggling to see when the latest episode in the Claire and Jamie saga was due. How could I resist. Read it for yourself

It was so cold out, he thought his cock might break off in his hand- if he could find it. The thought passed through his sleep-mazed mind like one of the small icy drafts that darted through the loft, making him open his eyes.
I first discovered her writing when we when we lived in PNG. Borrowed from the CWI library it was totally unputdownable. I have devoured her books ever since. When we lived in Palmerston North I had the pleasure of hearing her ‘live’ during a tour of NZ. She read an extract from her latest book and in doing so became Jamie Fraser, it was uncanny to see her transform into the hero of her book.
I am steeling myself not to read this new book too quickly, even though I really really want to find out what happens. The Scottish Prisoner is part of the Lord John story.
This afternoon I went for my routine mammogram. OK. Not something that one looks forward to, but a necessary screening. OK so it wasn’t that unbearable, just a tad uncomfortable but over very quickly thanks to the efficiency of the radiographer.  Usually, once they have the boob squished between the x-ray plates, the comment is, ‘Now don’t move.’ !! Well hello, you have a piece of my anatomy very firmly held so just where do you think I am going?
Not so this time, the very practical girl doing the x-ray just told me that it would be over quickly, and it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment